Saturday, June 9, 2012

Mango Salsa

I have never made mango salsa before, but mangos were on sale for a dollar, so why not give it a try?  We have done mango sorbet in the past, which I think Dave prefers, but I'm more of a savory food eater, so I made some salsa for a pre-dinner snack one night.
Fresh mango salsa with blue corn chips
Note that although I usually try to eat local this time of year, many of these ingredients are not local or even organic, for that matter.  This was a big cheat for me, but such a treat for a hot summer day!  

Ingredients:  jalapeno, cilantro, lime juice, peeled ripe mango, garlic, red onion, and red pepper.
 A few notes:
  • I actually ended up not using this garlic clove, but a garlic scape instead.  It was nice and mild that way.
  • I only used half the jalapeno and red pepper.
  • I used about an eighth of the red onion.  I'm not a huge raw onion fan, but I found a hint on Hey, Lady Grey's recipe to finely cut the red onion, then pour boiling water over it.  I just heated up the water in my tea pot, threw the onions in a sieve, and poured it over.  It really took away that bad-breath onion flavor that I hate!  
  • The mango has a sort of pit that is rather indistinguishable from the rest of the fruit except that it's impossible to cut.  It's best just to take layers off the outside until you can't go any further with your knife.  
Cut everything as small as you can, mix it all together, and then salt it.  I used about 1/2 tsp of salt.  Let it sit and cool in your fridge for about an hour before serving.  This will get the ingredients to sweat a bit from the salt and meld the flavors really well.  We nibbled on this for a few days and it kept extremely well in the fridge.  Enjoy!


No comments: