Monday, September 6, 2010

Mexican Caviar

Mexican Caviar is a staple at all of my family's summertime gatherings.  It is a sweet bean and pepper salsa served on tortilla chips.  Although, we have also thrown it into tacos and fajitas.  This stuff is addicting and pretty healthy.  I threw together a batch of this for a softball party we attended last weekend.  I had made a few substitutions for missing ingredients, but the original recipe is the best!



Mexican Caviar
Ingredients:
1 can pinto beans
1 can black beans
1 can black eyed peas (found near the canned beans)
1 can shoepeg corn (found near the canned corn)
1 can diced/sliced jalapeno peppers

1 bunch green onions
1 green pepper
1 red pepper

Dressing:
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. olive oil
1/2 c. cider vinegar

Directions:

1.  Bring cider vinegar, olive oil, and sugar to a boil. Whisk to dissolve the sugar.  Remove from heat immediately and let cool to at least room temperature.
2.  Pour pinto beans, black beans, and black eyed peas into a colander and rinse. 
3.  Check out the size of the jalapeno peppers and dice if necessary.
4.  Dice green and red pepper. 
5.  Dice green onion.
6.  Toss all ingredients into a large Tupperware bowl with a tight-fitting cover.
7.  Add the cooled vinegar dressing and stir.
8.  Let this sit over night, or at least for a few hours before serving.

Serve with your favorite corn tortilla chips or Fritos.  This will keep for about a week, which is a good thing because it makes a huge batch!








6 comments:

NavyGirl said...

I love the crazy names your family has for certain dishes!!!! And it looks really yummy too... reminds me of our family's ever-present taco dip.

Nici Colwin said...

Soooo addicting! I don't make it because I eat the whole bowl. I just wait for your Mom to make it so I can have a taste! :)

megankrug said...

This is a staple of my familys too!!! Must be the whole fondy thing, everytime I make it 3 people approach me days later asking for the recipe.

cassie said...

Yum, this sounds delicious - great summer dish! (-Cassie)

Anonymous said...

I've been making this for years, but use Wiishbone Italian dressing for the marinade, one of my favorite all time recipes!

Unknown said...

Success is nothing more than a few simple
disciplines, practiced every day. See the link below for more info.


#few
www.ufgop.org