Sunday, February 26, 2012

Crockpot Chicken Chili

Although it's crock pot season, it took me a while to realize it.  A friend made this awesome chili for the superbowl and I have made it twice since then!  I even made it for Valentine's Day because we wouldn't get home until after a soccer game.  I have altered the recipe from the original.  It's a great thing to come home after work at 6:00 and not have to START dinner, but be able to eat after a few easy steps!   Also, your house is going to smell like home cooking!  I think this is a really healthy alternative to the traditional ground-beef chili.



My Crockpot Chicken Chili Recipe
Ingredients:
2-3 large chicken breasts
2 16 oz. jars of salsa.  (I have done fresh pico and regular salsa, just get two of what's on sale!)
1 small can green chilis
1 can diced tomatoes
2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp chili powder
 ----later-----
1 can Mexican style corn
1 can black beans

Serve with sour cream and shredded pepper jack or cheddar.  

Directions:
I'm not much of a morning person, so I put this all in the pot the night before, then in the morning just took it out of the fridge and threw it on my crock pot on low for the whole day.   Put all of the top ingredients in for the whole day of simmering.  When you get home, remove the chicken breasts and put them on a plate.  Using two forks, separate the chicken into nice thin strings then return them to the pot.  It will just fall apart for you!  Add the drained can of Mexican style corn and a drained can of beans to your crock pot.  Throw it up to high and once it starts bubbling again, serve the chili with sour cream and shredded pepper jack or cheddar cheese.  It goes great with tortilla chips too!  

No comments: