1. REI down booties. During a hut trip, I drooled over my friends' pairs of these. I got my own last year! (Actually, I think I got them for my mom and she didn't want them.) There are two places on my body that, if cold, make my entire body cold. One is my lower back, the other is my feet/ankles. These puppies keep me toasty around our house, where we like to keep the electric bill low by setting our thermostats low. (The sale below lasts until the 28th, I believe.)
2. A silpat. This baby fits on a cookie sheet and allows you to not grease your pan, and not even wash your pan, just rinse off your silpat when you're done. Besides cookies, it's great for making candy on it, rolling out pie crusts, and I just used it to cook pumpkin seeds on. Martha Stewart has this as a part of her collection at Macy's for $25.
I don't even know how DVR works or if people still have Tivo's, but I just wait for interesting TV shows to come out on Netflix, then stream them to my TV via our PS3. It's also good for watching movies, but not always new releases. For that, you might want the DVD by mail deal. For a gift idea, you can give someone a few months of Netflix.
4. Bananagrams. It's like scrabble, but easy. This portable game goes with me on every trip, backpacking, camping, or flying home. If you're into board games, a few of my favorites are Carcassonne, Pandemic, Settlers of Catan for two, Power Grid, Agricola, and Thurn and Taxis. I think playing board games is a great way to stay sharp.
5. The Help. I'm reading this now and it's a great book! I could see any woman enjoying reading this on their winter break.
6. Good boots. My dad bought me some good boots a few years ago and I use these for snow shoeing and playing in the snow and walking to work. Dave's favorite boots are on sale at REI right now. They are super comfortable! I tried them on!
What are a few of your favorite things?