Thursday, June 14, 2012

Berries and Coconut Ice Cream

Before Dave left for the east coast for a concert this weekend and his little brother's wedding next weekend (I'll be in my cousin's wedding the same day), we had a little treat!  I picked strawberries from our garden that day and got a can of coconut milk from the grocery store and made coconut ice cream with strawberries and fudge on top! 

Strawberries from my garden, with more to be harvested this weekend!

Soft coconut ice cream with hot fudge and strawberries.
Then today I picked up a ton of CSA veggies and my fruit share came through with a huge amount of bing cherries!  I grew up on Cherry Hill Orchard and we had a few bing cherry trees, but mostly pie cherries.  The bings were always a treat if you could get them before the birds.  I've already eaten a bunch of them, they are so good and remind me of home! 
 So I just had to put them on some ice cream, but it would have been fun to make the ice cream with the cherries originally!
Bing cherries with coconut ice cream.
Coconut Ice Cream Ingredients:
1 can coconut milk
1 cup vanilla soy milk
1/3 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
(1 egg is optional-- I am out of eggs and it was creamy enough without it!)

Whisk everything together and throw it in the ice cream maker for 20 minutes.  This is great for those of us who can't digest lactose!

No comments: