Sunday, July 3, 2011

CSA Week 3

This week from my CSA we got baby salad greens, bag of spinach, baby dill, green onions, radishes, kale, and garlic scapes.  I just checked next week's list and they are the things I am the most sick of eating.  Great.  Here's what I made this week:

Sauteed Kale-- Bobby Flay's recipe helped me use up all Kale except a small baggie I saved for Dave to make a super green shake, a shake he enjoyed at a Phish concert in southern Cali a while back, which also uses spinach and dates.  The sauteed kale was super good.  I wouldn't mind making more of it!

Spinach and garlic scape Risotto-- This used up my green onions, garlic scapes (green things that come out the top of the garlic bulb), and half of my spinach.  It was mighty tasty!  I just made standard risotto with white cooking wine and parmesan and used the green onions and garlic scapes in place of the usual white onion then added the veggies later on.  Whenever I make risotto, I wonder if that dude from Hell's Kitchen would yell at me, but I think I've nailed the texture. 

Cucumber salad-- I couldn't get dill without making my favorite cucumber salad!  1 huge cucumber, 1/2 a small white or yellow onion, 1/2 cup sugar dissolved in 1 cup heated up white vinegar and a bunch of dill.  Chop everything and pour the vinegar mixture over it, then let it sit overnight.  I think you could add more sugar if you'd like, mine's a bit intense.  This is a perfect idea for your 4th of July parties on Monday! 

Veggie bags-- got rid of my radishes.  If you're going to fire up the grill for meat, you should make some tin-foil bags and fill them with onions, potatoes, peppers, and garlic.  I added chopped radishes.  My radishes were extremely poor quality!  I don't know if it was because they sat in my fridge for 2 days and maybe my humidity setting wasn't right or if they were bad before I got them, but the radishes were soft and hard to cut when I chopped them up and they didn't get any better after cooking.  Ah well.

I still have lettuce left from last week, so we're still trying to scarf down salads left and right.  I hope we can catch up before this week's load.  At least it's keeping well because it's so fresh.  I've never had to clean my lettuce this much before.  There are chunks of dirt in my bunches.  I'm spending a ton of water to clean.


Anyway, I also made a flourless chocolate cake, which has nothing to do with veggies, but hey, why not? 
A friend made this flourless chocolate cake for a party I attended a while back  How sweet is she!?!?!  This cake is so delicious. The creamy topping seems odd (sour cream based), but it really adds just what you need to make this thing perfect. It's a little bitter as is, which is perfect for dark chocolate lovers.  If you prefer semi-sweet, try using that instead!

Flourless Chocolate Cake

Cucumber Salad
Lastly, if you're looking for something to bring to that 4th of July party on Monday, here's my favorite potluck recipes for Mexican Caviar. 

No comments: