Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Crock Pot Pork Green Chili

This is a recipe we made maybe two years ago in Alamosa, CO with Dave's family to bring to a chili party at the retirement home.  I took the recipe and made it easier by adjusting a few things, throwing it all in the crock pot, and letting it simmer all day.  Originally, we had fresh roasted Colorado green chilis to throw in, which would make the ultimate batch, but this turned out quite tasty using what was available at the grocery store.

The whole country is under a warm spell in March, but we had a cooler day on Monday, and were a little sick (Dave much more so than me), so I could reason making some soup.

I put this on high for 8 hours, but typically, people put crock pot recipes on low when they leave for work in the morning and they are ready when they get home.  (I'm on spring break, so working from home.)

Ingredients:
1.5 lbs pork tenderloin (our store offers it for $4.50/lb in a tube about 8 inches long)-- leave whole
1 onion roughly chopped
1 cup chicken broth
2 cups water
14 oz. canned green chilis
1 jar La Victoria Salsa Verde
1 jalapeno, chopped
3 cloves garlic, cut in half
1 can gluten free cream of mushroom soup
Handful of fresh cilantro (more for later when serving) chopped
1 tsp celery salt
2 tsp oregano
1 Tbsp cumin
1 Tbsp green chili powder (Omit if you can't find this, the flavor will still be there!  I get ours at the Mexican grocer.)

Throw all of this in your crockpot and set on low for 8+ hours or high for 5+ hours.  When it is done cooking remove the pork tenderloin and shred it with your fork.  I had to cut mine up a bit as well, to avoid long strings of pork.  Throw it back in the pot and you're ready to serve!  I'd do a quick taste test for salt or anything else it might need.  Mine was perfect!  I served mine with a spoon full of sour cream, fresh cilantro, and cheddar cheese.

Usually when I make white chicken chili, I add potatoes.  I think a couple of cubed potatoes might be a nice touch to this soup.



No comments: